- Kayak with the whales in their natural environment
- See other marine mammals such as seals, sea lions and dolphins
- The Pacific coast of California is one of the best places to view whales on their yearly migration.
Departure & Return
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
When you’re ready, follow your guide to the ocean and set out in your single or double kayak. Paddle out from La Jolla Shores, passing the La Jolla sea caves, huge kelp forests and underwater canyons while learning from your naturalist guide about the marine life around you. Your guide might show you leopard sharks, sea lions, seals, fish, pelicans and other seabirds, in addition to the Pacific white-sided dolphins, common dolphins and bottlenose dolphins that are commonly seen in the area.
Gray whales migrate offshore from San Diego from December to March, although sightings are not predictable in the wild. However, a kayak tour on the Pacific Ocean is a memorable experience and gray whales are frequently spotted in these waters.
Expect to paddle for almost the entire time that you are out on the water, about six miles round-trip. Although this is an active tour, prior experience is not required; simply bring your sense of adventure and be prepared to get wet. All kayaking gear and instruction is provided, along with warm beverages upon your return.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 1 day of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- What to Bring: Expect to get wet. Wear shoes that can get wet (Tevas, tennis shoes, 'river shoes' or flip flops), bathing suit and/or drip dry shorts/shirt, hat, sun screen. Bring a 'leash' for valuable glasses. You can leave a towel and dry clothes at our shop or in your vehicle. Please DO NOT bring valuables and things that cannot get wet: cell phones, pagers, car keys, non-waterproof watches, non-waterproof cameras.
- Free parking is available on the side streets. The spots marked 'two-hour' parking are NOT RECOMMENDED (not enough time).
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required. Individuals who book for only 1 passenger will be required to pay price for second passenger directly to operator upon check-in.
- There is a weight limit of 375 pounds.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- OPERATED BY Hike Bike Kayak Adventures
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
See all safety measures taken by La Jolla Whale Watching Kayak Adventure.