- Explore Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the sights around Hilo
- Get an up-close look at Hawaii's volcanic activity during stops at Halema'uma'u Crater and Thurston Lava Tube
- See historic lava flows along the 'Chain of Craters’ Road
- Visit a local chocolate factory and tour Rainbow Falls during stops in and around Hilo
Departure & Return
Please arrive 15 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Explore this unique volcanic area with your group, stopping to visit attractions like the steam vents and Halema'uma'u Crater. You may even witness a volcanic eruption! Trek through the nearby rainforest to visit Thurston Lava Tube, where you can learn more about how volcanoes form, erupt and cool. You will see additional lava flows as you continue on a drive along the ‘Chain of Craters’ Road.
After stopping to enjoy the beauty of locally grown orchids, continue to Hilo, where you'll sample island treats at a chocolate factory and visit Rainbow Falls. Finish the day with a drop-off back at your original pickup location.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Kilauea volcano is an active volcano, you may be exposed to volcanic gas on this tour.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- OPERATED BY Mauka Makai Adventures
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff