Los Angeles Palisades Park
Thanks to its large acreage, Palisades Park has plenty of room to spread out. Take a rest at any of the picnic areas, join a yoga class, watch a local artist paint, or check out the historical Camera Obscura located above Santa Monica State Beach near Broadway. And after you’ve spent plenty of time people watching you can easily walk down to Santa Monica Pier for a carousel ride or seafood.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Palisades Park has benches, picnic areas, pétanque courts (French bocce ball), and restrooms.
- Smoking is prohibited in the park.
- The park is wheelchair accessible.
- Make sure to stop by the Visitors Center Kiosk if you have any questions while visiting.
How to Get There
Palisades park runs along Ocean Avenue from Colorado Avenue to Adelaide Drive. You can easily walk to the southern Colorado Avenue section of the park from downtown Santa Monica. Finding a place to park in the area can be tricky and visitors are encouraged to use public transportation.
When to Get There
The park is free and open to the public. It is a popular promenade area throughout the year, though walking along the path early in the morning or evenings offers some spectacular lighting. Santa Monica is most popular during the summer, and weekends in the park can be quite crowded. It can also be foggy in May and June, but there are still plenty of things to do in the park whether the sun makes an appearance or not.
Santa Monica State Beach and Pier These two landmarks are conveniently located along Santa Monica’s Palisades Park and are some of the more popular sites in the city. Santa Monica State Beach is accessible from several pedestrian bridges and is a great place to enjoy some sand and surf. For a bite to eat and amusement attractions, head to Santa Monica Pier for games and rides, as well as a trapeze school and an aquarium.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Arizona
- Los Angeles Montana Avenue
- Third Street Promenade
- Heal the Bay Aquarium
- Santa Monica Place
- Santa Monica Beach and Pier
- Marvin Braude Bike Trail
- Venice Beach
- Venice Canals (Venice Canal Historic District)
- Getty Villa
- J. Paul Getty Museum (The Getty)
- Hammer Museum
- Annenberg Space for Photography
- Museum of Tolerance (MOT)
- Rodeo Drive
- Paley Center for Media