The Kapoho Tidepools are an hour from Hilo and just over two hours from Kona. From the town of Pahoa, south of Hilo, turn onto Kapoho Road and follow until it dead ends. Turn right on Highway 137, and take a left on Kapoho Kai Road just past mile marker 9. Follow to the end, park in the dirt lot, and then walk a mile on foot. Access to Champagne Pond skirts close to private property, so always respect the signs and stay away from private homes. Access to the ponds is free of charge, and unless you've rented a 4WD vehicle you’ll need to hike across the rocks.
- How to Get Off the Beaten Path on the Big Island of Hawaii
- How to Spend 3 Days on the Big Island
- How to Spend 1 Day on the Big Island
- Where to Stay on the Big Island of Hawaii
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities on the Big Island of Hawaii
- First-Timers Guide to the Big Island of Hawaii
- Things to Do on the Big Island of Hawaii This Summer